Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sleep Deprived Parents

So two nights ago Jeanette woke me from a sound sleep, and this was our interaction:
J: "Where'd you put the other half of our baby?"
M: "Huh?
"I know you have the legs over there behind you, give her back."
M: "Jeanette, you're hallucinating from the pain meds, go back to sleep."
J: Curls into a little ball away from me and starts crying, saying, "You're so mean."

Then last night, Jeanette was sleeping on the edge of the bed, and apparently the baby was stirring, so she started to get up feed her. The first move of getting up was for her to roll a little to her side, towards the edge of the bed so she could swing her feet to the floor. That may have been what she was doing, but from my just-woke-up-from-sound-sleep perspective, that is not what I saw.
Just as she started to roll her body towards the edge, I woke up from a sound sleep, dove over her lightning-fast, and grabbed her, hurting her C-Section stitches in the process. I thought my poor, pained, recovering wife was falling out of bed, andI wasn't gonna let that happen. Apparently I didn't save her from any danger, but I did sure scare her to death as I leapt out of a sound sleep. Managed to hurt her a bit too. Ah well, we'll have normal sleep patterns again someday.

posted by Michael

5 comments:

katie said...

Hehehe. We're laughing in Colorado:) Mitch says that's all he has to say too.

akamilby said...

Ummmm, I'm laughing too. The sleep deprivation does end someday. Around age two. But there is an end to it :)

sarah marie said...

We don't have a small infant to add humor to our night-time interactions, but Nathan talks in his sleep. A couple of nights ago he suddenly said, rather loudly, something like "The general is coming and we need to be ready!" It always startles me and wakes me up rather abruptly.

Hope you get some sleep soon. Your baby is beautiful!

Chau said...

Quoc and I are laughing like crazy here!! Thanks you guys and see you on Wednesday. We're bringing spring rolls :)

Michael and Jeanette said...

Woohoo! Homemade spring rolls for dinner tonight! ! !